Are you training for an event this year? Sports Massage Can Help!
Last updated: 12.36pm, Wednesday 29th March 2023
Are you a runner? Training for an event this year?
Whether you are training for 5km or 150km, at some stage in your training you may experience muscle soreness or fatigue. Did you know, sports massage can help in several different ways when factored into your training programme?
As the running events calendar starts across the country, and the world, we want to share with you the benefits of sports massage and how you can utilise it around your running.
Sports Massage can help:
- Improve flexibility, whilst you may be thinking "I don't need to be flexible to be a runner", improving your flexibility may help you move more efficiently and easily, reducing your risk of injury.
- By increasing blood circulation to the soft tissues, which helps promotes muscle recovery and well-being.
- With relaxation, which lets your body and mind take time out from a very busy life and running schedule to breath and listen to your body.
- Enhance tissue and cell health which can lead to improvements in endurance performance by increasing the rate muscles can utilise oxygen and exert power.
- Preparation, to help you feel ready to tackle your next training session after some much needed hands-on recovery.
When to get Sports Massage:
Throughout your training, it’s a good idea to include regular visits to your Sports Massage Therapist for maintenance. Regular sports massage can help prevent injury by keeping your muscles in optimal condition, reducing areas of tightness before they become a bigger issue. It may also help speed up recovery, which will be particularly important as your training runs become longer and your event get closer.
A sports massage before your event will be slightly different from your usual appointments. This massage will be of lighter pressure, it is often referred to as a 'flush'. It helps to loosen muscles, get rid of any residual tightness, and 'flush' any waste products. We recommend a pre-event massage no longer than 3 days before your event. If you are new to Sports Massage it may be better to opt for 5 days pre-event.
So you've run your race, got the medal, eaten everything in your goody bag, tagged yourself on social media and even looked at the event pictures. You should be proud of yourself!
However, your muscles are still sore and tight, and even the thought of walking downstairs or sitting on a chair makes you want to shed a tear. We have all been there!
Sports Massage is a great way of giving the body a little helping hand to recover. Your post event treatment will also be a little lighter on your hard working muscles than your usual massage. We will listen to your post event story whilst helping release your tension and muscular aches and pains helping you get ready for your next event!
If you have any questions regarding Sports Massage, please do not hesitate to contact us either by phone on 0141 616 6161 or via email on firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our experienced Sports Massage Therapists will be happy to answers any questions you might have.
Our Sports Massage service is available to book via our website or over the phone on 0141 616 6161.
We look forward to celebrating your running successes with you and being part of your journey, before and beyond the finishing line! Gie it Laldy