Podiatry & Biomechanics
Our specialist team provide expert advice and treatment.
What is biomechanics:
This is the assessment of body movement and the forces used. These specific movements and forces can help and or hinder how we function in sports, at work, walking the dog etc. Movement and force analysis can help to diagnose the cause of injury and can also be altered to help reduce injury and symptoms and may also improve movement and performance.
We regularly treat athletes from the SportScotland Institute of Sport, as well as professional footballers and other athletes who attend for biomechanical assessments, injury management and prevention.
In terms of technology and the facilities, we have access to expert gait interpretation and computerised pressure analysis.
Below is a list of what you should expect from a Biomechanical assessment:
- Postural Assessment
- Joint and muscle assessment to assess how the joints and ligaments are functioning.
- Gait assessment with pressure analysis, if necessary, to assess how you move naturally
- If required, video analysis of your running style. Footwear will be assessed and advice on footwear will be provided, with relation to your foot posture and your running/movement style i.e. are you a heel striker, mid-foot or forefoot striker?
Padding to offload painful areas
- Mobilisation/manipulation of the joints to help normal movement pathways
- Lower limb and foot strapping/taping to help manage movement and reduce symptoms
- Steroid injection to address chronic pain symptoms
- Customised/prescription foot orthotics which can help to reduce symptoms.